About.me

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Developing an online portfolio

You.com

    For my final assignment in my "Internet Tools in the Classroom" class I was to create an online portfolio or create an online presence to share with others. While looking for a site to create this digital portfolio I looked through many sites, but narrowed it down to three sites. I have shared a brief description of the three sites and what site I ultimately decided to go with.

vizualize.me - This site allows you to enter in your educational history and your work history. It creates a timeline on your homepage to share a visual timeline of both experiences. It does allow you to enter some other personal/professional information, but does not share this information on your homepage. It also limits your ability to share your social media outlets on the homepage. The site is in the beta stage, so I am sure improvements are on the way, however, this site did not offer the type of presentation I was looking for.

flavors.me - flavors.me and about.me are very similiar sites. They allow you to create a visual pleasing homepage with customizable background and allow for easy edits to the homepage. It does allow for you to edit a mobile version of your page, but this is only for premium users. The fee is only $19.99 a year. Although most of the options and features of the site are available for free, you're ultimately limited due to the need for premium membership. I did create a page using this site so that I have ownership of one, but I chose to to utilize this site as my primary outlet for my digital portfolio.

about.me - I decided to go with about.me for my online portfolio. This site is 100% free and couldn't be easier to use. It allows you to edit your background and create a bio on your homepage. It also allows you to easily add tabs so that viewers can access your social media pages directly from your about.me homepage. I kept my information brief due to the fact that I am very cautious of our districts regulations for social media right now, but I did explore enough to see all the options. You can also view your about.me site on mobile devices as part of a mobile platform. This site is extremely user friendly and well worth the time it takes to set up. You can view my about.me site by clicking here. If you enjoy my page please like my page and feel free to contact me via the site or any other social media site you explore on my page.

No comments:

Post a Comment