About.me

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Live Streaming - using Ustream

Live Broadcast on Ustream

After researching the options to broadcast live, Ustream.tv seemed to be the easiest way to go. The mobile application can be used on both droid devices and apple devices and you can also do it all from the website itself. When I first started thinking about this project I was a little nervous because I didn't quite feel comfortable and was even more unsure what I would broadcast about. After some contemplation, I decided to stream my girlfriend and myself cooking enchilada stuffed peppers. Before the actual broadcast, I practiced broadcasting from my computer, ipad, and droid cell phone. Ultimately, I went with streaming the broadcast from my cell phone due to poor internet connectivity in my house. Since I have 4g on my cell phone, it allowed me to stream with very little lagging. When I practiced on the Ipad and the computer, there were frequent breaks in the broadcast. 
  In order to promote the event, I posted the address and a description of the event on twitter throughout the day. I also texted the address of the broadcast to some close friends during the day.  To help with the time of the broadcast, we had the ingredients prepared ahead of time. The vegetables were chopped, the peppers were in the water, and the Quinoa we boiling. When the broadcast began, I shared with the viewers why I was doing the project, what we were cooking, what ingredients we were using, and the steps. I encouraged viewers to use the social stream feature and talk to me during the broadcast. I did communicate with one user during the broadcast. I was able to make this happen by setting up my laptop downstairs while streaming from my phone. Using the cell phone was a little tricky because I wasn't able to flip from the front-facing camera to the rear-facing camera during the broadcast, so some of the broadcast is a little all over the place. All in all I thought the broadcast went well. I did talk to one of my friends after the broadcast and he shared that the broadcast was clear and easy to understand. I see how this would be neat to use in the classroom to share with parents a special event or a special lesson, however, I don't know if it would be possible unless all parents approved, and that is unlikely to happen.You can view a recorded version of the broadcast by clicking the link below. 

No comments:

Post a Comment