About.me

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Digital Media in the Classroom

Why Digital Media?

   I just finished up my first graduate class in Instructional Media through Wilkes University. The class was "Internet Tools in the classroom" and helped me to get a good understanding of what tools are currently being used in the classroom. It also forced me to create this blog, something I was also very hesitant about but am very glad that I finally started. If you would like to read about some thigns I learned from that class, you can read some of my blog posts below.
  I am now starting an 8 week journey for my next two classes in the program. Digital Storytelling and Digital Media in the classroom. As a part of my first assignment for the latter class, I was asked to answer a few questions for the introduction portion in "twitter-style" Enjoy my short answers below.

  1. Who are you and what do you do? My name is Mike Balliet and I teach First Grade in Montandon, Pennsylvania
  2. What is your primary goal for taking this course? I want to increase engagement in my classroom while preparing my students to be successful in todays high tech society.
  3. What is your philosophy of education? My philosophy is to create and foster a love for learning while equipping kids with the tools and information necessary to be successful lifelong learners.
  4. What do you see as the greatest benefit of using technology and/or digital media in the classroom? A drastic increase in student engagement and the ability to allow students to see a much deeper perspective of content with more opportunities to actively use aquired knowledge.
  5. What is your biggest concern or challenge with using technology and/or digital media in the classroom? The strict filter used in our district for internet tools requires me to learn most programs or software at home. Also, making sure the technology is available for students to use.
  6. Provide an example of how you currently use technology and/or digital media in the classroom.  I currenly use the MOBI digital presentation tablet, I have one Ipad but hard to use with a whole class. I also use behavior management software.
  7. How does your classroom today differ from when you were the same age as your students? Today, there are many more opportunities for visual learning. With youtube you can take students on a journey through lessons, have them share their answers online, and create digital presentations. It is much more engaging and more fast-paced, but also higher expectations.
I look forward to sharing the information I aquire from this class. Stay tuned and join me on this digital adventure.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, Mike. Welcome to EDIM 508! I taught 1st grade for 6 years before moving to 4th. It certainly keeps you on your toes! It's unfortunate that you have such a strict filtering system at school. Hopefully that will change in the upcoming years. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike - That's cool that you teach 1st grade and coach basketball with 8th graders. I teach k-5 and coach high school basketball. This year I had former students on my basketball team. Crazy how time flies. Good to meet you and know there is another basketball coach in the program.

    -Allen

    ReplyDelete