About.me

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Tools for the Web

Filling Up My Toolbox


    Just like the tools that continue to add up on my workbench upstairs, so do the tools that I am aquiring from this class. That is not the only similarity however. Since purchasing my house last year, I haver received a lot of tools. Because most of these tools were given to me as gifts, many of them I have not even used yet, or learned how to use yet for that matter. I began to think about that before making this blog post. I wouldn't even know if I had the right tool for the job in my home because most of them are still in the box, waiting for me to learn how to use them.
  This is similar to the tools I am beginning to aquire for technology because although I am giving free access to most of the sites or given advice to use them, I have yet to take the time to really dive in and learn how to use them, so it worries me that I am not sure if I will know what tool to use when the time comes.
  This weeks tools to add to my toolbox were all very exciting for me and I am already finding ways to implement them within my classroom. I'll take a minute to share my thoughts on some of the tools and how I plan or how I already am using them in the classroom.

  URL Shortening 

    I have always wished there was a way to shorten the URL to links I want my first graders to view. BAM! Enter my new tool tinyurl.com. This allows you to take any web address and turn it in to an address that begins with tinyurl.com/"enter what you want here."  One of the drawbacks I noticed was that many names for sites are taken. This can be overcome with a little creativity, but if I am trying to shorten a URL, I want to make it as short as possible. I also realized that after I tried my first one I did not paste the entire URL into the entry box, but it created my new URL as a dead link. I was no longer able to use the nickname as my shortcut. I was there was a way I could delete that. As far as I have seen there is no account, so there is no way to keep track of your created URL's, but I am still doing some exploring. If you would like to try this out on your own, please click on the link below.

Tiny URL

    QR codes

     QR codes have always interested me very much. When I first began to see them all over, I went QR crazy and began to scan them to see what would happen. I quickly realized that this was just an advertisement ploy in most cases. I have limited my desire to scan QR coded to the moments when I know it will benfit me or others (i.e. coupons, recipes, donations.) I always thought that the QR codes would be an expensive addition for companies to use, but never dreamed that I could create them for free, and link them to whatever I desired. This could get dangerous. I created a QR code to link to my page and decided that I could link it to a parent newsletter, or even place it in the faculty room for teachers to scan if they desired to read my blog. Although this is just a simple way to use them, I was excited to show other teachers, who now are sharing other ideas on ways to use them. I teach in a predominately low-income school, so I am not sure the ability most parents have to scan the QR codes, so I am being hesitant to implement them immediately, but I am currently researching other ways to use them in the classroom or to communicate with others. Stay
tuned for ways that I am finding to use them within the primary classroom. If you would like to explore creating Qr codes on your own, visit the site below to explore the opportunities. Very easy!

Shorten URL's, create QR and NFC codes. Click Here!

   Bookmarklets

When first reading about bookmarklets, I was a little confused about their purpose. I saw the comparison to add-ons, but never really understood the purpose of those either. I came to find out that I have been using add-ons for a long time, but always installed them when my browser prompted me to do so. I am happy with my web browsing and feel like I am efficient in using a browser, so why the need for bookmarklets. After reading a brieft overview from labnoo.org (Full article here), I realized there are quite a few advantages to bookmarklets. I have listed a few of those benefits below:

  • Drag and Drop - You can drag and drop the tool directly to your toolbar. When you're ready to delete, simply right-click and select delete.
  • No LAG - bookmarklets are remarkably small compared to add-ons. They will not slow down your computer. It makes it an easier decision to add them and try them because of this.
  • Not Exclusive - They are not browser specific. They can be used throughout all your browser. So if you are a fan of explorer and chrome, like myself, then you don't need to worry about installing the add-on for each browser. 
  • No Restart Required - You don't need to restart your browser in order to begin using your bookmarklet. Begin using as soon as you install.
Although there are other features to bookmarklets, these few along give justification to begin trying them out right away. If you would like to try some of the most popular bookmarklets for teachers, Click here to explore some of the best options. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment