About.me

Monday, February 11, 2013

Exploring new sites

Discovering Something New

Information overload is really taking over. There are so many quality sites out there. Using the RICE method or another "filtering" system to choose what sites to use and when will become more detrimental than ever. Below I have shared my experience on the suggested sites from the assignment.

Edutecher.net

The sign up for this site was very easy and fast. It also created a blog for me with my sign up. It was free and provided instant search directly from the homepage. My topic of choice was Greater Than//Less than. I was specifically looking for apps, lessons, and resources related to this topic. After searching I was prompted to filter my search before results turned up. I really liked the filter categories, but the results were very generic. Although I selected Math and Elementary, the sites listed for primarily Language Arts and the links did not connect me directly to my topic. 
  The positives were that the site provided multiple educational resources where I would be able to search for my topic. The results for the sites were all educational, which helped me to trust that the sites would guide me to the information I needed, but the search I began didn't lead me there directly. 
   The site does include an EdutecherTV tab which allows you to watch "how to" webisodes on topics such as "Brief Tips for Tech in Education" and "How to Set Up a Whiteboard." I don't know if it was connectivity or if it was the server for the site, but the videos took uncharacteristically long to buffer. It is a positive addition to the site either way. Some screenshots of the search filters and the Edutecher TV can be found below.
  The homepage for your site is easy to navigate. The layout is very fun and visually stimulating. Your "backpack" is like your homepage. All the tabs/icons are laid out on notebook paper which makes it fun. From your backpack you can access your favorites that you have tagged, view your notes, messages, and forums, as well as update your profile or blog. The site is very user friendly.
   The site offers countless resources but it does take some searching through those supplemental sites to find what your looking for. All in all I will be using this regularly to research for resources and materials needed.




Go2Web20

Go2Web20 is a online index of "app-like" icons that offer a variety of resources, both for educational and personal use. The search results are very limited, and even the site suggestions are limited, but most that I have viewed are of high quality. On the homepage it has suggested tools/apps to try out. The nice thing about the site is when you scroll over an app it gives you a description of what the page is used for. When you click on the link it has a more detailed description as well as a link that connects you directly to the site/app. Some of the sites do cost money and/or require log in and personal information. I noticed that multiple sites were filtered on my school browser as well. Below I have listed some of the tools I discovered while searching the site. You can click on the link above to do some exploring on your own.

  • Kidoz - "A kids browser" - The description provided was pulled from go2web20.net. "The KIDOZ browser is a protected environment made for young kids that enables children to surf sites ,watch videos and play games. The system blocks links, scripts and any other attempts that lead to sites and content which have not been approved, preventing them being viewed by the children."
  • Storyjumper - Storyjumper allows students, parents, and teachers to create and publish their own stories. It offers help with their on site tools such as "story starters" to help get you started on your own story. You can also add in your own illustrations and pictures to your story. You can share the stories online for free or have your hardcover copy published for $24.99. The site does require sign up with personal information.

Shrock Guide

  Karen Shrock's Guide to Everything website is a teacher's resource/FAQ smorgasbord. There is no sign-up or log-in required to explore the resources on the site. Each topic clearly presented on the sidebar is full of textual references, weblinks, and supplemental resource links to explore the topic in further detail. I will use this site specifically throughout this course as it addresses QR codes and cell phones in the classroom. One major topic that it addresses on multiple occassions are IPADs in education. As a recent recipient of an IPAD in our district, topics such as IPADs in the classroom, learning and teaching with IPADS, and "A day in the life of an IPAD" provide multiple resources to further my education on how to use this valuable tool more efficiently and appropriately. The links seem to be all in tact, but it is also stated at the top of each page that she would appreciate if you would let her know if any link is down. It made me feel like there is a lot of care of the user of the site when reading this each time. I plan on referencing this site frequently, specifically during my time in this class.

  After viewing all three sites, they all are valuable and have strengths. I think that Go2Web20 was the most limited on information, and most of the links were caught by the filter in my district. Edutecher.net had a plethora of educational resources to use both in and out of the classroom, but definitely takes the most time to explore and sort out exactly what you would use the information for. Out of all three, the Schrock guide was the most detailed and easy to navigate. Although the topics aren't vast, they are detailed and hit relevant topics with technology in education. Although my time was limited to fully divulge myself into all three sites, they are all bookmarked under my "best resources" folder and I will be using these three sites over the course of the next few weeks to further learn how to use them effectively on a regular basis.









No comments:

Post a Comment