About.me

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Blogging Habits

    I have never been the kind of person to express myself well through writing. The whole idea of putting my thoughts out there for other people to read makes me a little nervous. When I realized we would have to create and maintain a blog for the Internet Tools for Teaching course, I was a little worried.
    As an 8th grade boys basketball coach I am constantly beginning practice with a quote. While preparing for one of our first practices I came across a Chinese proverb that has become a staple for our practices. It says, "Habits are cobwebs at first; cables at last."  I used this proverb to explain to my players that although you may not master things right away, habits become stronger over time. I take this a little further by reminding them that you can make good habits or bad habits, what kind of cables do you want to create.
     As I prepared to make my first blog entry (well besides my creative commons licensing), this proverb kept popping up in my head. I have decided to try to form the habit of making a regular blog post. Again, I am not one to ever brag about placing my thoughts or feelings on paper, but if you want to become better at something, you have to start spinning the web.
    If you ever read a post and want to comment, please do so. I am very accepting of critique, criticism, or even blatant feedback. I hope that my ability to express myself and share ideas develops over this course, but until then, I hope you can enjoy..or at least tolerate, my attempt to spin one "web of a blog."

No comments:

Post a Comment