About.me

Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Content Creation - A student's take.....

In order to understand how my students felt about creation during their year in first grade, I decided to make it a group discussion. Instead of a one on one interview, the students seem to be more eager to share opinions once the conversation gets going.

I started by discussion the word "creating" with my students and then asked them what their favorite thing was that we created this year. The most common answers all had to do with something related to art. We used a site called "Kerpoof" this year and this seemed to be the most common answers. Because we just learned how to use the site near the end of the year, I allowed for the students to create something with very little rules and restrictions. The students shared that they enjoyed adding "speech bubbles" and giving their characters and comic a "voice." There favorite part was that they could print their comic when they were done. After more conversation, the students shared that even though some of their comics looked the same, they were very different from their friends when they gave their characters voices.

What I really took from this and students like to learn technology through practice. They also seem to be very adamant about having something physical to show upon completion. With our digital stories on robots, students had to view their story online, and some did not have this opportunity at home. With "Kerpoof", students had the opportunity to have something physical to show off. I think this is something that commonly gets lost during digital creation and something I will definitely keep in mind during digital instruction and the early elementary level.

No comments:

Post a Comment