About.me

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Media Infused Project

As part of my EDIM 508 class, we were asked to create a Media Infused Presentation. The purpose of the project was to help us to learn to foster the development of the disciplined and synthesizing mind. Because this was my first time using Prezi, and I teach at the lower elementary level, it was difficult to create a project that focused on these skills while creating something that could be used independently in the classroom.

My favorite part of using Prezi was that fact that it allowed me to create a presentation that a student could use independently at a learning center. The content of my Prezi was based on the Life Cycle of a Butterfly. Before and after each section of the presentation, students were asked to think about what might happen, and follow up with what happened throughout the life cycle. Although this did not necessarily foster the development of the synthesizing mind, students would be expected to make connections to other life cycles that we have looked at in previous units of study. They would have to draw on prior knowledge and understanding in order to make predictions of what would happen in the life cycle of a butterfly.

By allowing students to be exposed to multiple forms of media and complete the lesson independently, it would also allow for me to work with other small groups to follow up on the lesson. This would be an opportunity to connect other activities that would help me to encourage the use of the disciplined and synthesized mind.

The hardest part of this assignment was trying to develop a presentation that could be completed in parterships of independently with 5-6 year olds while trying to foster the disciplined mind. Now that I am gaining more undertanding of what types of lessons this would entail, as well as understanding how to use Prezi, I think future projects will be much easier to create and implement with this age group. I look forward to creating many of these over the summer to use in my classroom for the upcoming school year.

You can view my Prezi on "The life cycle of butterflies" by clicking here.

No comments:

Post a Comment